Goat milk soaps and lotions are great cosmetics products that have been in use over the years for nourishing and rejuvenating the skin. Unlike traditional soaps and lotions that contain harsh chemicals, goat milk soaps & lotions contain natural ingredients that provide numerous benefits to the skin. With the growing popularity of natural skincare products, you should consider adding goat milk soap and lotion to your skin care routine.
Why You Should Consider Using Goat Milk Soap And Lotion
There are numerous benefits to using goat milk soap and lotion on the skin. To mildly cleanse and exfoliate your skin, goat milk should be your go-to product. When you want an anti-inflammatory and anti-aging product, then you should consider using goat milk. All in all goat milk soap bars and lotions contain many vitamins and minerals and antioxidants which help to improve skin cell turnover, hence promoting healthier-looking skin. What’s more? You can rear goats on a homestead and gain all these benefits.
Goat Milk is The GOAT
In the course of this article, we will explore the benefits of goat milk soap and lotion, how to choose the best products on the market, as well as tips on how to make your own goat milk cosmetic products. We also reviewed the best goat milk soaps and lotions available in the market. So, whether you are looking for a natural alternative to your traditional skincare products or simply want to try something new, this post will guide you through everything you need to know about goat milk products. Stay with us!
Benefits of Goat Milk Soaps & Lotions
Everyone wants a natural, gentle, and effective way to cleanse and nourish their skin. Goat milk products offer a range of benefits to the skin, including moisturizing, gentle cleansing, exfoliation, anti-inflammatory properties, and vitamin-rich nourishment, amongst others. These natural skincare products can be a great addition to any routine and for all skin types. Here are some of the key benefits:
Skincare Benefits of Goat Milk Soap and Lotion
- Moisturizing Effects: Goat milk is rich in natural fatty acids and triglycerides, which provides deep hydration moisturizes skin. This can be very beneficial for people with dry, itchy, sensitive, skin or eczema; as this helps to soothe their skin.
- Gentle Cleansing: Goat milk soap bar is a natural, gentle cleanser that doesn’t strip the skin of its natural oils. If you have sensitive skin or your skin is prone to dryness or irritation, you should consider using goat milk soap. Unlike traditional soaps, they do not irritate or dry out the skin.
- Exfoliating Properties: Goat’s milk infused with alpha-hydroxy acids, which act as a natural exfoliant. This helps to remove dead skin cells and reveal smoother brighter skin. For people that want to improve the appearance of their skin, reduce fine lines, and improve skin texture, this is your best bet.
- Anti-inflammatory Actions: Goat’smilk contains anti-inflammatory compounds that help reduce inflammation and skin irritation. This is especially helpful for people with acne-prone skin, sensitive skin, or those who suffer from eczema or psoriasis.
- Anti-aging Effects: Ordinarily, goat milk contains lactic acid, a natural exfoliant that helps to remove dead skin cells and induce cell turnover. This in turn reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, leaving the skin with a brighter and more youthful look.
- Vitamin and Mineral Rich: Goat milk is high in vitamins A and D, and minerals like calcium; all of which are essential for healthy skin. Vitamin A helps to improve healthy skin cell turnover, and vitamin D helps to maintain a healthy skin barrier. Calcium provides support functions and supplements the effects of the skin proteins.
- Natural Constituents: Some goat’s milk soaps and lotions are 100% made with natural, non-toxic ingredients. They are free from synthetic fragrances, preservatives, and other potentially harmful chemicals commonly found in conventional skin care products. This makes them a safer and healthier option for people who want to avoid harmful chemicals in their skincare products.
The Science Behind Goat Milk’s Beneficial Properties
The natural compounds found in goat milk work together to provide numerous benefits to the skin. These beneficial properties make goat milk a valuable ingredient in natural skincare products like soaps and lotions. Here are some of the major scientific explanations behind goat milk’s beneficial properties:
- Fatty Acids: The natural fatty acids found in goat milk include caprylic acid and capric acid. These fatty acids have a smaller molecular size than those found in cow’s milk, making them more easily absorbed to moisturize the skin.
- Lactic Acid: Goat’s milk contains lactic acid, natural alpha hydroxy acids that mildly exfoliates the skin and stimulates cell turnover. This leads to brighter, smoother skin and a reduction in the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Vitamins and Minerals: Goat milk is high in vitamins A and D, calcium, and potassium. Vitamin A induces a healthy skin cell turnover, while vitamin D maintains the skin barrier function. Calcium and potassium are important for hydrating the skin.
- Anti-inflammatory Compounds: Lysozyme is the major inflammatory compound found in goat milk. It helps to reduce inflammation and irritated skin, especially on acne-prone skin and those suffering from eczema or psoriasis.
- Natural Emollients: Goat milk contains natural emollients, like triglycerides, which help in soothing and moisturizing the skin. These compounds repair the damaged skin barrier, help to prevent moisture loss, and maintain healthy, hydrated skin.
Goat Milk Soaps & Lotions vs Traditional Soaps & Lotions
Goat’s milk products are highly beneficial over traditional soaps and lotions and here’s why we think so:
- Moisturization: Goat milk soaps and lotions are rich in natural fatty acids that help retain skin moisture. Traditional soaps and lotions on the other hand, commonly contain harsh chemicals that can strip the skin of its natural oils, leaving it dry and irritated.
- Gentle Cleansing: While traditional soaps can be a great deal for cleansing the skin, they leave the skin barrier in an adverse condition. Goat milk soaps mildly cleanse the skin without stripping it of its therapeutic essential oils. Whereas, the sulfates in traditional soaps dry out the skin, to such an extent that the skin barrier becomes invaded.
- Exfoliation: Alpha-hydroxy acids contained in goat milk lotions act as a natural exfoliant and help to reveal smoother brighter skin. Traditional soaps and lotions may not contain exfoliating properties. And when they do, they roughen the skin and become left with pores.
- Anti-inflammatory Properties: Goat milk cosmetics are anti-inflammatory, whereas traditional soaps and lotions may not offer such anti-inflammatory benefits.
- Natural Ingredients: The main product in goat milk soaps and lotions is goat milk. Conventional skin care products contain lots of synthetic fragrances, preservatives, and other harmful chemicals.
- Environmental Impact: Goat milk soaps and lotions are often made with sustainable and eco-friendly practices. While the production of traditional soaps and lotions leads to the release of byproducts that are harmful to the ecosystem.
How to Choose the Best Goat Milk Soap or Lotion
Besides doing a patch test before using any new products to avoid any potential allergic reactions, there are some other factors you need to know. When choosing the best goat milk soap and lotion, there are several factors to consider. These tips will help ensure that you find the right products for your skin with the most minimal side effects and allergies:
Factors to Consider When Choosing Goat Milk Soap and Lotion
- Check the Ingredient List: Look for goat milk products with all-natural ingredients, and avoid the ones with synthetic fragrances, preservatives, or other harmful chemicals. Ensure to check that they are free from parabens, sulfates, and phthalates. Some ingredients you may want to look for in a goat milk soap or lotion include manuka honey, oatmeal, aloe vera, and vitamin E, which can help soothe and nourish the skin.
- Consider Your Skin Type: Different goat milk soaps and lotions are formulated to meet the needs of different skin types. For dry and itchy skin, opt for products that are rich in natural oils, such as shea butter or coconut oil. While for oily or acne-prone skin, products that are formulated with tea tree oil, charcoal, or other ingredients that help to control oil production should be used to reduce inflammation and prevent recurring breakouts.
- Look for Exfoliating Properties: If you want a product that can help to remove dead skin cells go for goat milk soap. Its alpha-hydroxy acid content contains gentle exfoliating properties for promoting healthier-looking skin.
- Scents Matter: If you have a sensitive nose or simply don’t like strong scents, choose unscented products or the ones with light fragrance. If you enjoy fragrances, you may want to look for products that contain essential oils or natural fragrances like lavender, peppermint, or citrus.
- Consider the Texture: The texture of the goat milk soap and lotion and how it feels on your skin are important. Soaps that create a thick lather, and a lotion that absorbs quickly and doesn’t leave a greasy residue are great picks
- Read the Product’s Reviews: Reading customer reviews of different goat milk soaps and lotions can help provide insider tips on the brand’s reputation and how effective they are for the different types of skin. Reviews also give you an idea of the scent and texture of different products. Always choose products that are made by companies with a good track record of producing high-quality, all-natural skincare products.
- Consider the Source of the Goat Milk: Ensure that the cosmetic company sources the goat’s milk used for making their products from reputable sources, such as local farms.
Common Ingredients to Look For and The Ones to Avoid
When choosing goat milk soap and lotion, the ingredient list is one of the things you should seriously check. These products are made from goat milk but do not consist entirely of milk. Always ensure you go for all-natural products that are free from harsh chemicals and synthetic fragrances. Here are some common ingredients to look for, as well as the ones to avoid:
Ingredients to Look For:
- Natural Goat Milk: Of course, the star ingredient in any goat’s milk soap or lotion is the goat milk itself. This is the constituent that will provide you with most of the vitamins, minerals, and proteins that your skin needs.
- Natural Oils: Products that contain nourishing oils like shea butter, olive oil, hemp oils, palm oils, or jojoba oil, help to soothe and hydrate the skin, hence, they are great picks.
- Essential Oils: Not all goat milk soaps and lotions contain essential oils, however, the ones that do provide a pleasant scent and skin-soothing properties to the user. Lavender, peppermint, and tea tree oil are common essential oils used in skincare products.
- Aloe Vera: The soothing and cooling properties of aloe vera, make it an excellent ingredient for people with sensitive or irritated skin.
- Honey: This natural humectant helps to draw and retain moisture in the skin. For those with dry skin, honey would make an excellent ingredient.
Ingredients to Avoid:
- Parabens: These are a common preservative in many skincare products, however, they have been associated with hormonal imbalance and other health concerns.
- Sulfates: Cleaning products such as soaps that contain sulfates, use them to create a lather. The downside is that they can be harsh on the skin and strip away natural oils.
- Synthetic Fragrances: Synthetic perfumes and fragrances can cause skin irritation, worst still if you’re allergic to them.
- Phthalates: These are often used to help fragrances last longer, but just like synthetic perfumes, they are linked with other health concerns.
Types of Goat Milk Soap and Lotion
There are several different types of goat milk soap and lotion available in the market. Here are some of the most common types:
- Unscented: For people with sensitive skin and those that don’t like strong fragrances, unscented goat milk soap, and lotion are perfect. Unscented products still contain all the skin-nourishing benefits of goat milk and other natural ingredients but without any added fragrance.
- Scented: Goat milk soap and lotion made with fragrances like lavender, peppermint, citrus, and vanilla are scented. These products may also contain essential oils or natural fragrances that not only provide a pleasant scent but also have skin-soothing properties.
- Exfoliating: Goat milk cosmetics made with natural exfoliants like ground oatmeal or apricot seeds, help to remove dead skin cells and leave the skin feeling soft and smooth.
- Moisturizing: Goat milk products containing nourishing oils like shea butter, coconut oil, or jojoba oil, helps to hydrate and soothe dry, rough skin.
- Acne-fighting: These cosmetics may contain tea tree oil, which has natural antibacterial properties that can help to control oil production and prevent breakouts.
- Anti-aging: Goat milk soaps and lotions made with ingredients like vitamin E, are antioxidizing in nature and they help to fight free radicals and protect the skin from damage and other skin conditions.
Best Goat Milk Soaps & Lotions
There are lots of fantastic goat milk lotions and soaps in the market, each with its own unique blend of natural ingredients and fragrances. Here are some of the top goat milk cosmetics available:
This all-natural milk cleanser is made with fresh goat milk and nourishing oils like coconut oil, olive oil, and red palm oil. It is hypoallergenic and safe for all skin typesand even newborns.
Features of Bend Soap Company Goat Milk Soap
- Free of essential oils and has natural scent.
- Rich and creamy lather, but can be slightly drying for some.
- It costs approximately between $2.00 to $4.95 for a 4.7 oz bar.
This moisturizing hand cream is infused with natural ingredients like goat milk, shea butter, and almond oil. This hand cream will nourish and help retain skin’s moisture especially for those of us with dry, thirsty hands.
Features of Dionis Goat Milk Hand Cream
- Non greasy and cruelty free
- Lightweight and non-greasy formula that absorbs quickly.
- Price is from $10 – $30 depending on the type.
Nubian Heritage goatmilk soap contains skin-softening honey, roses, and chai. They work with the moisturizing fatty acids in Goat’s Milk to cleanse & hydrate.
Features of Nubian Heritage Goat’s Milk Soap
- Contains rose petals, shea butter, and chai.
- Produces creamy and moisturizing lather.
- Costs $4.99 for a 5 oz bar.
Not only does it contain fresh goat milk, but also, it is made with natural vegetable oils. It is gentle enough for daily use and is suitable for all skin types.
Features of Caprina by Canus Fresh Goat’s Milk Soap
- It comes in fragrances like lavender oil, orchid flower extract, eucalyptus mint, and shea butter.
- Rich, creamy, and gentle lather on the skin.
- Costs approximately $4.99 for a 5 oz bar.
The Dionis brand earned two spots on our list because they are really good when it comes to producing Goat milk cosmetics. This lightweight body lotion is perfect for dry and itchy skin.
Features of Dionis Goat Milk Body Lotion
- Comes in fragrances like verbena and cream.
- Lightweight and non-greasy and absorbs quickly.
- Costs approximately $14.99 for an 8.5 oz bottle.
Another luxurious soap on our list is the Beekman 1802. It contains triple milled pure goat milk. The formula contains 100% vegetable soap base that gets you squeaky-clean–without the squeak.
Cons of Beekman 1802 Pure Goat Milk Soap
- The goat milk used in its production is triple-milled.
- Creamy and moisturizing lather.
- Price is tagged at $15.00 for a 9 oz bar.
DIY Goat Milk Lotion and Soap
Making goat milk soap and lotion at home is a fun and rewarding DIY project that allows you to customize the ingredients to your liking. Here are the ingredients needed and instructions on how to make goat milk soap and lotion at home:
List of Necessary Ingredients and Steps For Making Goat Milk Soap
- 1 pound goat milk soap base
- 1/4 cup fresh goat milk
- 1 tablespoon of carrier oil (such as sweet almond oil or jojoba oil)
- 10-15 drops of essential oil (optional)
- Cut the goat milk soap base into small cubes and melt it in a double boiler or microwave, while following the heating instructions on the package.
- Once melted, remove it from the heat and let it cool for a minute or two.
- Add the fresh goat milk, carrier oil, and essential oil (if you are using it) to the melted soap base and stir well till it is fully combined.
- Pour the mixture into a soap mold and let it cool for several hours or you can leave it overnight to form.
- Once cooled and hardened, remove the soap from the mold and cut it into bars and desired shapes
List of Necessary Ingredients and Steps For Making Goat Milk Lotion
- 1/2 cup fresh goat milk
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 1/4 cup sweet almond oil
- 1/4 cup beeswax pellets
- 10-15 drops of essential oil (optional)
- In a double boiler or microwave, melt the shea butter and beeswax pellets together until fully melted.
- Remove from heat and add in the sweet almond oil and fresh goat milk. Stir the mixture.
- Add the essential oil (if using) and stir well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into a blender and blend until the mixture becomes thick and creamy.
- Pour the lotion into a jar or container and let it cool and set before use.
Tips for Making Your Own Goat Milk Lotions and Soaps
- Protect Yourself: When making goat milk soap or lotion at home, wear gloves and protective clothing to avoid any contact with lye or other potentially harmful ingredients. You can use gardening gloves and farm boots to protect your skin from spills. Additionally, endeavor to follow safety guidelines and carefully measure all ingredients for a safe and successful outcome.
- Use Fresh, High-quality Ingredients: The quality of your ingredients will have a direct impact on the final product. Most especially, choose fresh, high-quality goat milk and carrier oils, shea butter, and beeswax.
- Follow the Steps Closely: Goat milk soap and lotion instructions require precise measurements, so it’s important to follow the steps closely to get the right balance of ingredients.
- Keep Your Workspace Clean: Cosmetics production making can be messy, so it’s important to keep your workspace clean and free of clutter. This will also help you stay organized and avoid any potential accidents.
- Use a Thermometer: To ensure you have the needed temperature, use a thermometer to confirm the temperature of the goat milk soap base and lotion mixture before adding other ingredients.
- Be Patient: Making goat milk soap and lotion takes time and patience. Allow the mixture to cool completely before using or cutting the soap.
- Experiment with Scents and Natural Additives: Once you’ve learned how to make these products with the basic steps, you can then experiment with different scents and additives. Try adding exfoliants, such as oatmeal or coffee grounds, or use different essential oils to create unique scents.
There are numerous benefits one can get from using goat milk soap and lotion. These products are excellent choices for people looking for natural, gentle, and moisturizing skincare products. The ingredients, scent, texture, and price are the major factors to consider when choosing the top goat milk soap and lotion. Even with that, some of the best goat milk soap and lotion brands in the market include Bend Soap Company, Beekman 1802, Dionis, and Nubian Heritage. However, it’s also possible to make your own goat milk soap and lotion at home with fresh, high-quality ingredients and follow safety precautions.
Recap of the Benefits of Using Goat Milk Lotion and Soap
- Moisturizing Effects
- Gentle Cleansing
- Exfoliating Properties
- Anti-inflammatory Actions
- Anti-aging Effects
- Vitamin and Mineral Rich
- Natural Composite
Final Thoughts on the Best Goat Milk Soaps & Lotions
So, whether you choose to purchase goat milk soap and lotion from a top brand or you want to make yours, you can still enjoy the full benefits of this nourishing and all-natural skincare option. With regular use, your skin would become even more soft, smooth, and rejuvenated, making goat milk soap and lotion, a great addition to your daily skincare routine. Bonus tip: You can rear a few goats in a hobby farm and still get to enjoy all the benefits frok the milk it would give you.